Our Kids

Our Kids
Our Family

Friday 16 September 2011

...She got us through it...

Well, it has been a very long 72 hrs...

The day before Lauren was due to have surgery, we went to go and meet with the surgeon to discuss everything one last time.  Garry and I had a few questions we wanted to know before Wednesday and the surgeon wanted to make sure that we were comfortable with everything.  Everything seemed to be status quo to what we had talked about until the Dr said that once out of the cast(s) Lauren would be placed into a rhino cruiser.  Garry and I both specifically remember asking the surgical Residant about this during our first visit and he mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary.  With both of us sitting there shocked, the Dr proceeded to tell us that Lauren will most likely be in this hardness until about 3-3 1/2yrs old, but not 24/7, the amount of time necessary would be negotiable based on her progress.

We both left the appointment a little discouraged that after this 12 weeks it continues and she isn't free; however we both agreed that if this is what is going to fix our little girl and allow her to do any activity she wants to, then we will do it.

Wednesday morning came too soon, I couldn't seem to find my footing and get organized.  All I wanted to do was stay in bed and pretend that this was going to be a normal day for us, that we really didn't need to go to the hospital.  But, it wasn't a normal day, we had to get going and get up to the hospital, ready or not Lauren was going to have surgery and be placed in the spica cast.  The only thing keeping me going that day was that Nevan was to be receiving his "I beat cancer trophy" ~ everyone was so excited for that presentation at the hospital!  I still think that Derek and Debbie deserved an award as well!

We arrived to the hospital on time with both kids and were relieved that Lauren had fallen asleep in the car without her milk as it was naptime and snack time for her.  The nurses let her sleep and waited till the last minute to check her get her ready for surgery, unfortunately we found out after they had asked us to wake her that the OR was running about an hour behind!  We now had a very upset, tired and hungry little girl on our hands.  We all tried everything to calm her down.  Eventually we decided to take her out of the clinic and over to the play area in the main reception area of the hospital.  There she played with her cousins and walked all over the place in her little hospital gown.  At about 12:45pm we were asked to come back, they were now ready for us, I was asked to dress into my hospital gown, cap and slippers. Poor Lauren had no idea why Mommy was dressed so funny and she tried repeatedly to remove the cap.  We said our good-byes to everyone and her and I proceeded to the OR.  What a cold, white, scary room!  I don't know how many times it crossed my mind to just run back and leave with my little princess, but, ultimately, this was the path we needed to go down in order to get her better.  My heart sank as I left her on the OR table sleeping.

Lauren ended up being in the operating room for about an hour and a half, we were called while we were waiting for Nevan's trophy ceremony to start.  Garry and I ran to the surgery clinic, I was so ready to see my baby girl, even if she was going to be in that horrible cast I had been dreading for 6 weeks!

As you can imagine, Lauren was pretty upset as she was coming out of the sedation, we tried to calm her down, but she was a little confused, in pain and very sleepy~not a great combo.  Our Dr came to see us in recovery and said that the "closed reduction" with the "abductor release" had worked.  He was very confident that the ball was in the socket and it wouldn't pop out!  Garry and I were ecstatic!  This was music to our ears, the most least invasive surgery had worked!  We ended up in a private room on the surgical ward after being in a room of 4, then 2!  Apparently, it works being the squeaky wheel!! :)

Lauren finally was able to calm down and get into a good sleep state at about 1:30am.  I decided it was best that I sleep too as I didn't know what the hours ahead of us would hold. I woke to the night nurse and Lauren talking away to each other.  Our nurse kept saying, "WOW!  This is a completely different baby, she is so happy!"  I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief, she wasn't still in a great amount of pain anymore and the sedation was starting to wear off.  After a great sleep I woke up at 8:15am to Lauren laughing and talking with the day nurse~everything was going to be ok!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, your story brought tears to my eyes a few times!
    So glad to hear that in a few short hours, your happy, easy-going girl was back :) And now a major part of your journey is crossed off the list!

    ReplyDelete